A decade plus with me, and he is a changed man. He's all about the holidays and takes our son swimming most weekends (though he still does not much like to get his nipplies wet in the icy climes of Lake Michigan or the English Channel).
Since we bought our first home four years ago, my husband is Home Improvement nuts. He skulks the aisles of Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards carefully comparing prices and customer service (Results: Menards= Cheap and Shit Service; Home Depot = A little more expensive and nice, knowledgeable service....). He comes back home, proudly declaring that he "managed to get that wax ring I've been wanting," or "there's a Dremel on sale with a Flex Craft attachment..."
(Did you know, it's physically impossible for a man to make one run to Home Depot in a day? Universe says that if there is one run to the Depot, then at least 3-5 subsequent runs must be undertaken, which we do not complain about at all if he also takes the manic 4 yr old...)
In the last four years, the man has:
1. Ripped out our upstairs bathroom sink, toilet, and (gulp) wall, and completely reinstalled new ones.
2. Refinished our basement study. i.e. ripped down nasty-assed walls and shit, and rebuilt them with wood and dry wall and plaster and nails stuff. He used a nail stapler thingy and everything.
3. Completely removed each and everyone of our rickety, 1926 windows, stripped, sanded, painted, and restrung the things.
4. Stripped and refinished wooden floors
5. Painted six of our rooms (I did choose the paint color)
6. Built a garden fence, from scratch (none of that pussy-assed premade fencing for this boy)
7. Painted our garage (I did choose the paint color)
8. Stripped and refinished various pieces of furniture so they look effing fabulous
9. Built, from scratch, two Arts and Crafts Style bedside tables, and stained them ebony. (his color choice, and actually very marvelous despite my initial
10. And now. Now. He's gone and built this: Again. FROM SCRATCH. From big bits of lumber he had to cut down to size. The spindles you see here? There are something like 150 of them, and they very nearly did him in, and destroyed our marriage in the process.
This masterpiece (now also stained ebony) is going into our boudoir, which is at this very moment being painted by...him. As I sit here in my office, I like to think of him silently cursing me for choosing a two tone paint palette (slate gray and duck egg blue) and thereby creating an edging nightmare...
I have been informed that if we move to England, this "%$U*%" bedframe is getting &%&$#*$ shipped....