3.21.2007

Musical Meme (Or, God. I Am Old)

I am finally getting back the Fairly Odd Mother's tag, spurred on by some of the fine ladies (and chap) in last night's AI open thread at MamaPop. (If you are an AI fan, this thread seriously enriches the entire experience. It's like being in a room of slighty tispy snarks. It's delightful. Do Not Enter if you are a Sanjaya fan though. Or if you do, prepare to be politely ridiculed).

Guidelines:
list seven songs you are into right now. No matter what they are. They must be songs you are presently enjoying. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

1. Lilly Allen, "Everything's Just Wonderful." The thing about Lilly Allen is she makes me feel Old. I also feel like she would be one of those rough girls down the bus stop who would have hassled me shitless as an adolescent. My husband thinks it's a persona, but I am not so sure. She intimidates me, but I think this add to the certain frisson when I listen to curiously banal lyrics like:

"Oh Jesus Christ almighty, Do I feel alright?
No not slightly,
I wanna get a flat I know I can't afford it,
It's just the bureaucrats who won't give me a mortgage,
Well it's very funny cos I got your fucking money,
And I'm never gonna get it just because of my bad credit
Oh well I guess I mustn't grumble,
I suppose that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

2. I often rely on my pal sweetney to inform me as to what the Hipster Parent about town is listening to. There's only so much ColdPlay a girl can listen to after all. Her Spring Mix was crammed with arteeestes I had no clue about. This also made me feel old. And then I listened.... and my Hipster Parent Image was duly returned. I particularly enjoy Postcards from Italy by Beirut.

Who is Beirut? Fucked if I know. But they can play a mean ukelele? Banjo? Harpsichord? I dunno, but it's a bit like Rufus Wainright meets Surfjan Stevens (yes. I know. I should be writing for Rolling Stone).

3. The car I tend to drive to work has a radio only. It is normally tuned to NPR. (Can I put down NPR? Don't think so). If I am driving it, it is also sometimes tuned to the Student Radio station here. It's my way to stay in touch with the masses (and also have a good yell at the DJ when she refers to SOOOFRA-GETTE City..... Lord!).

I have been listening to two songs at Full Radio Volume: Shake that Ass On the Dance Floor by Vicious Vicious. (audio sucks on this--sorry) This is the most ponderous remonstration for one to "shake one's ass" I have ever heard, but I like it all the better for it.

4. And also: Grace Kelly by Mika. It makes me nearly as buoyant as Scissor Sister's I Don't Feel Like Dancing.

5. Badly Drawn Boy: Easy Love on One Plus One is One. I like all things Badly Drawn. All things.

6. ...running out of steam.... At work I listen to Magnatune.com, and particularly enjoy a bit of Bach at my desk while I'm pulling my hair out over multimedia specs. (Happy Birthday Bach!!!) Antonio Meneses, Bach Cello Suites. Totally stops me from going postal. Also pleasant music to pump by.

7. Ok. Coldplay. The ubiquitous ColdPlay. When I am feeling particularly melancholic or overly dramatic I like to wallow in the lyrics of "Fix You." Much as I like to pretend I am Clare from Six Feet Under when I listen to "Breathe Me" By Sia on a quick run to the grocery (in the Good Car with CD player).

Tagging! Well, I tag Sweetney, but she actually beat me to posting this meme (she did this officially tagless, sad whore). Here it is, along with some quite reprehensible references to my dark colonial past.

Who else?
Oh the Joys, Mama Tulip, Flutter, Birchsprite, GunFighter and One Weird Mother.

26 comments:

sweetney said...

bitch, don't make me call up uncle sam and get your green card taken away BECAUSE I SO WILL. I HAVE CONNECTIONS. SIRIOUSLY.

Oh, The Joys said...

Gah! You vile saucy tea bag, you.

Vengeance will be mine, MINE!

slouching mom said...

Phew. (Breathes sigh of relief that she was not tagged. Memes are hard work, AND my musical tastes are seriously fuddy-duddy.)

Umm. I'm with you on Bach.

And on Sanjaya being about as awful as it gets. (My theory? Prepubescent girls like the girl sobbing bizarrely and excessively last night have to go through a stage during which they worship effeminate guys, because said guys are less threatening to their budding sexuality. OK, I'm done.)

Kaleigh said...

http://anotherworkingmom.blogspot.com/2007/03/pimpin-someone-elses-blog.html

Just thought you should know I totally pimped you today. Not in a creepy way, though.

karrie said...

Love both of your selections for #4.

MsPrufrock said...

I do love me some Beirut. How can you go wrong when the glockenspiel is involved? I recommend Mount Wroclai (Idle Days). If you lack the means to listen to this song let me know and I can hook you up via slightly illegal means. Ahem.

Have you ever been to www.pandora.com? It's called the "Music Genome Project" - you type in what you like, and they construct an internet radio station around similar artists. It's a great way to be introduced to new music.

I love me a good music-related post. I'm interested to see hat the tagees have to say.

megachick said...

totally off topic: joy, email me about the pump you are using please....

Mimi said...

gnorf. i got tagged for this too, and it's making me engage in some self-loathing. good fun!

i run magnatune off the radio setting on my itunes while fighting the evil that is Flash. evil. evil.

Lawyer Mama said...

I LOVE Badly Drawn Boy, but no one around here knows who they are. I knew there was a reson I liked you.

Aurelia Bell said...

My daughter and I have become rabid Lily Allen fans. She's such an around the way girl, English style.

flutter said...

ohhhhhh yay! Well, I love beirut also, but now I shall run away and think of other songs with which to impress you all...or something.
I'm on it, baby. Thanks for the tag

Marmite Breath said...

Oooh, Joy. I love Lily aswell. And Coldplay. And Mika. And Badly Drawn Boy.

We need a Ginga Joy Mix CD to be released.

jen said...

you are remarkably hip.

Ele said...

I bleedin' Love Lily Allans' album; which I'm quite surprised about because it's not great music in so many ways... I think I just love hearing a young woman effin' and blindin' so much! (Incidentally, Joy, when I first heard the album I thought of you because of our tendancy to both have a "potty mouth" as our mothers might have called it). Also glad to hear that Lily has made it across the atlantic.

Birchsprite said...

ooooohhhh no I'm no good at these meme thingymebobs .... although in saying that I've never actually done one... oh well, i'll give it a go!

Gunfighter said...

Mission Accomplished, Ma'am!

Oh, and I think the Sanjaya worshipper was a ringer.

Gunfighter said...

Oh, and I have better connections than Sweetney... trust me!

Her Bad Mother said...

I so cannot do this meme, and I am grateful that the Internets (other than you, fair friend) seem to think that I am meme-phobic, because this meme is just too hard. I would prolly just copy somebody else's. Maybe yours.

Tere said...

Damn, my taste in and knowledge of music is so sadly stunted. I need a personal tutor, pronto!

As for Sanjaya: what Slouching Mom said.

Lisa said...

You and I are very similar, music-wise. If you like Lilly Allen, try Au Revoire Simone and Camera Obscura. Enjoy!

Birchsprite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Birchsprite said...

I can't do the linky thing...

but I have done the meme, so go have a look if you want too!

Jozet said...

I LOVE Badly Drawn Boy!!!

My fave song is Once Around the Block. OH! and Born Again.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Thanks for playing! As I read all these memes, it makes me realize that I am so in the dark about music lately! I love the name Badly Drawn Boy so I'll have to check that out.

AJ said...

Totally agree re Lily Allen. I feel like I'm 40 when I listen to her lyrics.

I am 25.

Sandra said...

I am so enjoying reading all these memes. Your's most of all. Love it.