1.14.2007

I think this post might be a complete copout...

Like the rest of the *stratosphere, I am currently attempting to refine my intake of refined carbs, fat, and calories in general... I'm exercising, blah blah blah, nibbling on healthful snacks (if one can call standing virtually inside the food cupboard and inhaling great mouthfuls of Bear Naked Granola, Banana Nut "healthful") and have even taken the plunge by throwing out some of the chocolate that was taunting me.
I had planned a whole post where I reflected on my goals, my body image, my sloth, my ability to literally obsess about the _____ (name any sweet baked good) that I happen to know is in the kitchen ready to be eaten. It would have been very compelling.

But you know the drill. Many of you have been there and got the T-Shirt. So here's a healthy recipe instead:

Balti Chicken with Lemon & Ginger

(I am sloppy with the amounts here--so feel free to adjust)

1-1/12 lbs of Chicken Breast (no skin or bones)
1TBPS Garam Masala (Indian Spice medley--available at most grocery stores)
1 tbsp Turmeric
Ginger Root (1-2 inches) Cut into matchsticks (or whatever)
Garlic Cloves (2) (minced, or whatever)
Vegetable Oil.
Green chillies--1-2 (depending on how you like your heat). Sliced crosswise (or whatever).
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
Chicken Broth or Bouillon--1/2 cup
Cilantro (however much you like)

1. Slice chicken into strips or pieces (bite sized/curry sized)
2. Saute chicken until golden browned in a little veg oil in large frying pan. (dry off chicken first to avoid delicious but deadly white scum). remove with slotted spoon. (if your kids won't eat curried food, put some of this chicken aside for them to eat, boring little shits that they are.)
3. Add ginger, garlic, and chilis to the pan. Stir Fry for 1 minute.
4. Add dry spices and stir around (concoction will be quite dry)
5. Return chicken to pan and toss into spices--should turn a nice yellowy color.
6. Add lemon zest. Stir in.
7. Add lemon juice and 1/2 cup of chicken stock
8. Cook uncovered until chicken is thoroughly cooked through
9. Toss in chopped cilantro (unless your pain in the ass of a husband loathes the stuff and insists it tastes like soap. then sigh deeply and leave it out, or add it to yours when you serve).

Serve with basmati rice and green salad. (I actually like a few frozen peas with mine, but it might be a Brit thing. The Pea fetish.)

*and when I say "stratosphere" I mean privileged overeaters like me who have never had to go without.

4 comments:

Izzy said...

Is this Indian? It sounds delicious!

Oh, The Joys said...

Cop out? This is the first internet recipe I've actually copied from a blog. I'm ON IT.

doow said...

Dude, you used a half cup. That means you're a real American.

*hides own set of measuring cups*

Oh, The Joys said...

Just coming back to thank you -- I made this last night and we loved it. It will be a repeated dish!

Many thanks!