I had planned a whole post where I reflected on my goals, my body image, my sloth, my ability to literally obsess about the _____ (name any sweet baked good) that I happen to know is in the kitchen ready to be eaten. It would have been very compelling.
But you know the drill. Many of you have been there and got the T-Shirt. So here's a healthy recipe instead:
Balti Chicken with Lemon & Ginger
(I am sloppy with the amounts here--so feel free to adjust)
1-1/12 lbs of Chicken Breast (no skin or bones)
1TBPS Garam Masala (Indian Spice medley--available at most grocery stores)
1 tbsp Turmeric
Ginger Root (1-2 inches) Cut into matchsticks (or whatever)
Garlic Cloves (2) (minced, or whatever)
Green chillies--1-2 (depending on how you like your heat). Sliced crosswise (or whatever).
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
Chicken Broth or Bouillon--1/2 cup
Cilantro (however much you like)
1. Slice chicken into strips or pieces (bite sized/curry sized)
2. Saute chicken until golden browned in a little veg oil in large frying pan. (dry off chicken first to avoid delicious but deadly white scum). remove with slotted spoon. (if your kids won't eat curried food, put some of this chicken aside for them to eat, boring little shits that they are.)
3. Add ginger, garlic, and chilis to the pan. Stir Fry for 1 minute.
4. Add dry spices and stir around (concoction will be quite dry)
5. Return chicken to pan and toss into spices--should turn a nice yellowy color.
6. Add lemon zest. Stir in.
7. Add lemon juice and 1/2 cup of chicken stock
8. Cook uncovered until chicken is thoroughly cooked through
9. Toss in chopped cilantro (unless your
Serve with basmati rice and green salad. (I actually like a few frozen peas with mine, but it might be a Brit thing. The Pea fetish.)
*and when I say "stratosphere" I mean privileged overeaters like me who have never had to go without.